Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Successful Scrounging!

Over the past month I have been busy locating specific materials, and have found some interesting sources. I have managed to find a nice supply of cedar log skins, a bit of sheet steel, and a fantastic supply of both 2x4 and 1x4 lumber...

The cedar is the outermost wood and bark from cedar logs, the waste from a small cutting and milling operation that friends of Katherine (Dave and Eileen, thanks!) on Carson Lake had done. I think they had about 25 or so cedars on their property felled, and then cut into lumber that they used for projects and sold to friends. The leftover scrap they donated will be cut down and used for feature siding and possibly window frames.

I will use the sheet steel (approx 1-1/2" x 6 ft) underneath the two main beams, to protect them where they slide over the bracket on the small tree. I found it at Golden Triangle Specialty metal in Cambridge, a company that I visited when working as a courier. The guys there were kind enough to donate it to the cause!

The lumber comes from Dan, my next door neighbour, who works as a flat metal roofer (I think). Apparently his materials are delivered in large crates about 3' x 4' and anywhere from 8' to 20' long! After they remove the materials, the crates are broken down into garbage - until now! Dan has volunteered to bring a reasonable supply home which I will then dissassemble. They provide 2x4" studs, as well as 1" thick lumber which I will use as sub floor under the finish floor deck of the treehouse.

I think using these (and other supplies like them) is is a great way to reduce construction costs, aid in reuse and recycling, and keep stuff out of the landfill. Win-Win all around, thanks to everyone who helped out!

No comments: