Sunday, August 24, 2008

In The Beginning

I really don't recall when my fascination with treehouses began, but certainly becoming, along with my wife Katherine, the 'owners' of a wonderful century home as well as a fine collection of what I think are truly magnificant trees may have helped. The property has over 30 trees, the majority of which are either Norway or White Spruce, the six Norways having a distinctly gothic, foreboding feel standing along the front of the property behind the sidewalk, the balance being White Spruce along the properties east and north sides. The remaining trees include a Jackpine, Blue Spruce, Black Walnut, Mountain or White Ash, and Birch.

Probably the largest single factor in my newfound interest in treehouses was the arrival of our first son Rudi just over six years ago. I think I had probably purchased one book on treehouses before his arrival, but my collection expanded within the first three or four years after he arrived (I think I have six books on the topic now). I know when he was three or four years old I let slip that we would build a treehouse together sometime, and it has taken until now, about three years after that, to begin to realize our little dream.

A lot of things like this come down to timing and opportunity. Our second son Alexander (affectionately known as 'number last' by me at least!) arrived october 2007, and with him almost a year old, Katherine returning to teaching in the fall, me deciding to quit all my jobs to concentrate on getting the house finished this winter (wiring, bathroom, and attic need doing), the opportunity presented itself to at least make a start in what has been an idea of mine for on about the last decade.

I think also the timing is perfect for both Rudi and Alex. Rudi is now the age he can do or help with a lot of the little jobs, to give him a sense of ownership, that he helped build the treehouse with daddy, and not that daddy built it for him. It also gives him at least four or five years of enjoyment, before he might grow away from it (but from what I have read, one never grows out of loving treehouses!) As for Alex, he simply gets to enjoy it from day one.

In any event, what follows is our story, or documentary, in real life, and as it happens, of building our little house in the trees. We hope you enjoy.

No comments: